Can I help you?


It was about four years ago, and I was facing the dreaded “C-word” diagnosis (thyroid cancer). It was very traumatic, as I was dealing with surgery, radiation, a possible protracted illness, and maybe even death. Also, I was facing the possibility of being temporarily incapacitated and unable to care for myself and my family. And, being the strong, independent, modern-day woman, mother and wife that I am, all of these things were very daunting.
So, when my church family heard the news, several people asked what they could do to help. Being that strong, independent, modern-day woman, I told them I would be fine (did I also mention proud...and stubborn?).
A few days after the thyroid surgery, I was at a meeting at a local shelter where I served on the Board, and the shelter’s case manager, who was also my friend, asked me how I was doing. I gave her my usual pat answer. “Just fine.”

She asked if there was anything she could do for me during my recovery or while I was receiving radiation. Again, being the strong, independent, modern-day, stubborn and proud woman that I am, I answered, “No, I’m fine. My husband and kids will be there, I’ll be fine.”

She looked me square in the eye and said softly, “You know. Kim, when you don’t allow people to do things for you when you’re in need, you steal their opportunity to bless you.”

The world around seemed to blur as I focused on the gentle woman before me. Her words rang true, and I felt it deep in my heart. How often had I been on the other end of this conversation, feeling helpless, wanting to help someone who obviously needed it, only to have them deny me the opportunity? I knew from experience that her words were true.

As a result of this humbling conversation and my realization that my pride was hindering others opportunity to bless me and my family, I decided to tell anyone who asked that we could really use some help with meals during my recovery time.

What a blessing it was for friends to bring dinner right to our door for over a week! From home-cooked meals to meals purchased from restaurants, we were fed, both physically and spiritually, by the outpouring of love from our friends and church family.

They also sent tons of cards - uplifting cards, humorous cards, and “thinking of you” cards. It was very humbling, but also very cool, to have so many people taking time to care for us in that way.

Paul tells us in Galatians 6:2, “Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.” And, just as Ed shared in his message last Sunday, we not only need to do that for other people, we need to humble ourselves and let other people do the same for us as well. When we do both, that is when we fulfill the law of Christ.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the Toilet, Part I: The hardest part.

October 21, 2017

The Parade of Plaid