Symbolically Linked to the U.S. Army

 


              I never donated any of my uniforms because I felt like after serving 8 years in the military, I earned my right to keep them. They were a large part of my life spanning almost a decade. For 3 of those years, I wore a set of the Battle Dress Uniforms (BDUs) almost every day.

               Those uniforms were issued to me a few days after arriving for my basic training at Fort Jackson, South Carolina. At the reception station we often stood in a long line for something, those first few days—shots, haircuts, and when we were issued our uniforms. Reception personnel took a few measurements and then my 5-foot 95-pound frame was issued 4 sets of “Small, Short” BDU uniforms, 4 brown t-shirts, small, and 2 pair of size 4 black, combat boots complete with 4 pair of green, wool socks.

               Even though my dreams and aspirations of joining the military included me smartly dressed in class A uniforms with suit jacket, skirt and hat, we seldom wore class A uniforms, and indeed, mine mostly hung in a closet gathering dust.

               It was our BDUs that I trained in every day during basic. Marching, climbing hills, running for physical training in the BDU pants and brown t-shirt.

I laid in the dirt in those uniforms, in fox holes, preparing to shoot an M-16 at the range. I low crawled in them, slept in them, and even threw a live, hand grenade in them.

               I learned to keep things in the pockets, including my folded up BDU soft cap in my side pants pocket.

               I wore those uniforms Monday through Friday through my advanced training at Fort Jackson, and then continued to wear them during the work week once stationed at Fort Riley, Kansas.

               Each BDU shirt held the label with my last name over one front pocket, and “U.S. Army” stitched label over the other front pocket. The front of the uniform permanently linked my name symbolically to the U.S. Army.

The first initial of my last name, and the last 4 of my social security number was written on the tag inside every BDU shirt and every brown t-shirt. I knew these uniforms inside and out.

               If I had a “coming of age” story, it would be from within those BDUs.

               I met my husband of 29 years in those BDUs. I spent a week in the field getting to know him. He drove for the colonel during that field “exercise”, and I drove for the enlisted staff in our section. We would see each other occasionally at the chow hall, and sometimes in the tent where all the drivers hung out when their “passengers” were in the headquarters van with strategy sessions, problem-solving, or whatever else the military “big wigs” did during those exercises!

We talked a lot when we would see each other. He and another soldier helped me put up our GP Medium tent. We hung out at night in my tent, sitting on my cot and playing cards by flashlight. Good times.

               Between my uniforms and my late husband’s, I still had a big bin of military uniforms. Even though it had been decades since either of us wore those uniforms (or fit in them!).

               One thing I wanted to make from mine was some kind of purse or bag. I began searching different creations made from military clothing but did not find any I liked. I would find some characteristics of different purses that I liked better than others, but in the long run, I was not wholly satisfied with any of them.

               I settled on a pattern for a regular purse that was the style I wanted. The pattern called for a flap, and had a pocket on the outside, and a lining and pockets on the inside. I planned to use my BDU shirt and to add plenty of pockets from the shirt.

               I planned out the pattern so my two front BDU shirt pockets were on the front flap of the bag, and included the labels above each with “Taylor” and “U.S. Army”.

               The lower pockets of the shirt I planned for the inside of the bag. I used leftover portions of the shirt for the strap. I did use some purple flannel for part of the lining—I thought it would be cool, but in hindsight, I don’t like it.

 


              I liked the overall look of the bag though, and I used it for a long time. There are some things I would change, for instance, it doesn’t need a lining—and it adds a lot of weight to the purse.

               I do like the pockets! And with BDU pockets you cannot see the buttons under the flap. It makes it hard for other people to open those pockets, but sometimes makes it hard for me to open them as well!

               Overall, I was pretty happy with how it turned out. A great memorial creation that reminds me of my time in the military when I use it. I am proud of my military service and I enjoy the conversations that start when I use my BDU purse.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Parade of Plaid

In the Toilet, Part I: The hardest part.

October 21, 2017