Little Joe is Responsible for My Wardrobe

 


I am of the generation that watched, and had a crush on, Little Joe Cartright from Bonanza! I mean, he was dreamy!

            You could show me a picture of “Little Joe” without his head and I would know it was Little Joe Cartright from Bonanza! His signature outfit of tan, khaki pants, light red shirt, short, pea-green jacket, and a light beige cowboy hat.

I did not realize how successful the show “Bonanza” was back then. I remember watching and crushing on Little Joe for a long time, but I never realized it aired for 14 seasons.

            A Facebook article caught my attention, “Unbelievable Facts About ‘Bonanza’ That You Never Knew”.

I wondered what facts I never knew! (Castleton, Alissa Laderer, 2023).

            I read through and discovered the cast of the “Cartright” fictional family wore the same exact outfits from Season 4 to 14.

            As a minimalist connoisseur and a huge fan of Michael Landon’s Little Joe, this caught my attention.

According to the article, it cut costs on the actors’ wardrobe for several reasons:

The standardization of their wardrobe made it easier for using “stock footage” for many of the action scenes. Watching Little Joe gallop across the plains in his signature wardrobe was standard in almost every episode.

I wonder how many times I saw the same scene over and over without realizing it.

            A standard wardrobe also made it easier to duplicate the wardrobe for stunt doubles. There was no need to check what was being worn in a particular scene—although maybe his jacket would have been off or on.

            This would have made all the Cartright family highly recognizable, each in their signature clothing. “Pa”, Hoss, and Adam all wore the same outfits for every show.

            Even though I was a fan, I never realized this.

            But what does that mean for me?

            Well, decades ago I had a friend who announced she was “switching colors”.

            When I inquired, she explained that for years she only wore gray, yellow, and white.

However, she had decided to change up her wardrobe and was planning to switch the colors that she exclusively wore.

            I thought about the common sense in her decision. This allowed her to mix and match her clothes and have a variety of outfits she could wear, and not have one pair of pants that went with only one shirt or blouse.

            Brilliant!

            I guess I never really thought about it, and after three years in the Army with nothing but camouflage uniforms, brown t-shirts, and green socks, clothing choices were never a big deal for me. I wore what I had.

            My closet looked the same, and one of my brown t-shirts went with any of my camouflage uniforms.

            And similarly, all of my green socks worked well with this same ensemble.

            And foot covering choices were limited as well. Should I wear combat boots A or combat boots B?

            If I was in a hurry, it was whichever pair were already spit shined!

            The limited wardrobe made my decision-making easy. The most time I spent getting dressed in the morning was hands down my undergarment choice—since those clothing items were not assigned to me.

            But now that I had learned THIS, this-new-color-coordinated-wardrobe-gameplan, this certainly was going to change the way I looked at my wardrobe!

            And it did. I knew that I looked best in “cool” colors, and I liked how I looked in red, black, white and purple. Gradually, I began focusing my wardrobe purchases on those colors.

            It is not that I do not own any other colors, but those are mainly the clothing colors I buy. I can easily mix and match my pants and shirts, because those colors all complement each other.

            I saved both time and money keeping my wardrobe simple.

            I would never go as far as the fictional Cartright family, but I did minimize my clothing choices.

            And you know, maybe that is not as crazy as it sounds.

  https://www.heraldweekly.com/bonanza-facts/?fbclid=IwAR3sA8GnLYjnKkx5BUq3pWGbIKFoRHB8O8yWLLXfITydLylnwKmqbKXgct8

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Parade of Plaid

In the Toilet, Part I: The hardest part.

October 21, 2017