"Donner"

 



We had several boxes that contained miscellaneous paperwork from his youth such as, drawings, magazines, and mementos from his high school swing choir and band years. These boxes had sat, untouched for years, moving with us from house to apartment to apartment.

I painfully pulled out these items, some of which I could smile and reminisce over, but some brought absolutely no memory to mind.

Some boxes had newspapers and books, some had mementos from my kids’ scholastic life, homework assignments, artwork, school newsletters, etc. A lifetime of paperwork.

The packrats that we were, certainly included boxes of utility bills, credit card statements, and bank statements from decades ago.

I sorted the box contents into a box to “keep”, a box for his parents, and a box to donate. Besides the sorting boxes, I kept a trash bag handy. If it was of no value to anyone, I immediately threw it away.

I was grateful to have my sister come a couple times to help me sort, and some friends from church helped as well. However, it was difficult for others to make decisions regarding the disposition of the items, but they helped quickly sort, label and box up.

Several times one of my friends came and immediately loaded her vehicle with everything we sorted to donate, and she took care of finding it a home. That was incredibly helpful because it freed up my time to focus on the sorting, and it also helped that I did not need to witness it leaving my home for another. Once I handed the items to my loving friend, these items were entrusted into her care and I could forget about them.

And considering the enormous number of boxes I needed to sort, forget about them I did.

One of the more interesting items I had after the funeral was floral arrangement stands.

After the funeral, I had four beautiful floral arrangements on stands. At first, I had them outside on my patio, but after a couple of days I brought them into my apartment.

His parents took one home.

My home should have seemed beautifully serene with all the flowers and plants in my living room, however it was a constant, visual reminder of my loss.

Once the flowers began to wilt, I was surrounded by wilting flower arrangements, with some on stands. There is nothing more depressing.

I started throwing them away days later, when the flowers were officially dead. Within a week or so, they were all gone with only a few plants and the floral arrangement stands remaining.

Since my trash could not go over my assigned trash bin, one week I had extra bin space, so I put one of the stands in it.

The trash company took it, so I repeated the process until only one floral stand remained.

Since it was near Christmas, and I had very little desire to put up any kind of tree, I decided to put some lights on the floral stand. Then I added a couple of my favorite Christmas ornaments, and some garland.

The result seemed to encapsulate my mood of the season. An attempt to be somewhat festive, but underneath, the harsh reality of a loss.

At the top of it was Donner--the small, stuffed reindeer:

When Ed was recovering from surgery and still half asleep with anesthesia, he told me, “Don’t worry about anything, Donner will take care of it.”

I asked, “Donner?”

He said, “Yes, Donner.”

It was adorable! I had gone down to the gift shop and asked for a stuffed reindeer. Since he passed in October, their gift shop displayed mostly Halloween items.

One volunteer said, “Wait a minute,” and disappeared into the back room.

She returned with THREE reindeer! She had remembered they received a couple of Christmas boxes but had not unpacked them yet.

The volunteer set them on the counter one by one-- a large stuffed reindeer, a small Ty Beanie Baby reindeer named Tinsel, and a plastic reindeer.

 I chose Tinsel, purchased him, and promptly crossed the name off and wrote “Donner”.

I enjoyed telling Ed and his parents the story after I gave it to him. It made him smile.

“Donner” donned that floral arrangement tree, and my Christmas tree every year since then.

 This is a chapter from my new book, “Out of the Box” where I elaborate on projects and include pictures. The book is available on Amazon in digital and paperwork at https://www.amazon.com/Out-Box-Kim-Taylor/dp/B0HH8LB555

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Parade of Plaid

Desert Storm IRL

The first chapter: Where minimalism and memories collide