Help in Time of Loss

 


When someone passes, friends and family struggle to know what to do to show they care and how to reach out. I wanted to mention a few things that helped me when I lost my husband, Ed, in the hope that it might help someone, anyone, be there when they know someone struggling with a loss.

The first thing I want to mention is the meals. Especially the food that was brought over the week of his passing leading into the funeral. I had so many people in and out, and family staying, it was a big relief to not worry about food.

And one person brought sandwich fixings--bread, deli meats, condiments, it was great for allowing people at my apartment to fix a sandwich if they were hungry. Priceless.

Someone arranged a meal sign up platform, like TakeThemaMeal.com or Meal Train. I don’t remember which, but it was wonderful to have the meals arranged after the funeral. It helped with a physical need that I did not have the ability to verbalize, but definitely had the need.

People delivering meals provided a variety of benefits: It allowed me to not spend any energy on meal planning or grocery shopping. And in my extreme and sudden loneliness, I knew that someone would be dropping off a meal for me at a specific time. Which meant for one part of my lonely day, I knew someone would be coming over.

Which meant that for at least one part of every day, I would need to get out of bed. I would need to try and make myself presentable. And that for one part of each day, I was not alone.

The people who brought me food were in tune with me enough that they could tell whether I needed company and they would stay; or whether I was exhausted and needed to sleep. I was grateful for those who provided me with meals for several weeks after.

From my own experience, here are a few tips if you are wanting to take someone a meal:

            Think about how many people there are, including any kids. If you can, find out if there are any allergies to something you will need to avoid. The sandwich fixings were a wonderful thing to have on hand.

Sign up for a specific day and time. It helped me knowing when something was arriving. If not on a platform, text or message to let someone know it’s coming. I would limit calls, sometimes talking with people, especially after the funeral, was just mentally exhausting.

Send meals in a disposable container, or one that you do not need back. The less the widow(er) and family needs to worry about returning dishes, the better.

Sometimes it helps to freeze meals. Sometimes leftovers can get backed up, and a meal frozen can be saved for another day.

If you are doing a meal sign up platform, occasionally leave a day once in a while for eating leftovers, or eating out. In fact, sometimes a gift card for a restaurant that delivers food is a welcome change.

Having meals delivered helped me not only to eat, but for my guilt in leaving my dog, Rocky. With my husband gone, I felt guilty for leaving Rocky and guilty for all the things I didn’t get done when I left the apartment.

I read a blog about “Grief Groceries1”, and I thought that was a good idea, if you knew the person well enough to purchase groceries for them.

Other helpful suggestions for helping the recently widowed:

Sometimes helping after the funeral once everybody leaves is extremely important. There is nothing like facing an empty apartment after all the busyness of the funeral is over, and all the family and friends have returned to their normal lives.

I had friends who encouraged me to get out, and I did enjoy a couple of evenings out with them, but since I made the decision to move, I had the incredibly large task of sorting through everything and packing. Even though, oftentimes I did not have the energy to do much, I still felt guilty any time I left.

It helped me tremendously for those who came and helped me sort through things and pack! That allowed me to visit with people, while still working on my overwhelming task of sorting and packing.

And yes, some people are probably thinking that I did not ask for help. And you would be correct. I really could not verbalize that need, and I am grateful to those who figured it out and came to my aid.

My suggestion to others is to watch for hints in what the grieving person does or says, as to what they might need help with. They might not even realize it until you show up to help!

Another suggestion is to be there afterward. As I mentioned, it is the time when everyone leaves and you are left alone that is almost as difficult as the first week. Try and reach out later, by call or text, or drop a card in the mail.

I loved getting mail, and after Ed passed it always warmed my heart to know that someone was thinking about me and took the time to send me a card. Yes, I would read it and cry, but it was a small moment out of my day where I allowed myself to just swim in the emotions of the memories.

And be especially aware during those “first” moments without the loved one. The first birthday


without him, the first anniversary without him, the first Thanksgiving, Christmas, Mother’s Day or Father’s Day, and the first anniversary of his passing. These are all extremely difficult for those left behind.

For me, it was good to hear from people, to talk about Ed and to remember him during those times. He was a large part of my life for a very long time, and I appreciated those who reached out to me during those difficult milestones without him.

These are just a few of the things that I really appreciated with the loss of my husband. Some people might appreciate different things, or the same things. I do not think it is a “one size fits all” kind of situation. And there were many things done for me, large and small, that I appreciated as well. Some I may not remember, and some that just did not stick out as much as the things I listed here.

 I am extremely grateful for everyone who was there for me during that time, in whatever capacity. Thank you.

 1 “Grief Groceries” by Hugh Hollowell, Jr. on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10158648677136301&set=a.10150230249336301

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Parade of Plaid

In the Toilet, Part I: The hardest part.

October 21, 2017